Due to the overwhelming popularity of this tour we have decided to offer a second trip to Katmai this year!
Join Art as he leads this exclusive workshop to a private lodge in the Katmai region of Alaska with expert guide Jerry Jacques. You will have opportunities to view and photograph bears safely and will be creating dynamic images that are different than anything you have seen before. This is a Katmai experience like no other due to the exclusivity of the location and the expert guidance. You can be one of only 8 people to learn the nuances of nature photography taught in a truly wild atmosphere by a well-versed set of instructors.
Led by Art Wolfe
Assisted by Gavriel Jecan
Katmai Guide: Jerry Jacques
Limited to 8 participants
Moderate hiking involved
Transportation and Accommodation
All meals during the workshop, lodging, and transportation to and from the lodge is included. You will be responsible for your flight to and from Anchorage Alaska and for your hotel in Anchorage. You are requested to arrive one day prior to the workshop so that the entire group can convene the afternoon of Aug 2nd for departure. We have secured group rate rooms at an Anchorage hotel. Upon registration you will download a PDF that includes the hotel information. Please call the hotel directly and reference the Art Wolfe workshop to make your reservation.
The activity level for this workshop is moderate with proposed field outings that may involve approximately 4 miles of hiking over uneven ground to the photographic location. Please be aware of this before signing up. If there is any question regarding your ability to participate please call our office.
Shooting schedules have the ability to be altered to effectively cater to the photographic desires of the group, as well as to adapt to changeable weather conditions.
- Meet and greet with the rest of the participants 6pm Aug 1st no host dinner at restaurant in Anchorage. Everyone can introduce themselves, and prepare for the departure the following day.
- Approximately 3:00pm -Depart Anchorage for Katmai lodge
- Cabin assignments, waders and boots provided to each participant for trip, and settling in to lodge
- Discussion of proper procedures around bears and the float plane
- If there is time Art will provide a short lecture before dinner
- Breakfast at lodge, and lunches distributed for field
- Full day in the field with Art and Gavriel
- Lessons will be provided throughout the field outings
- Flight back to lodge
- Download images from the day. Dinner at lodge
- Art and Gavriel provide feedback on everyone’s images and provide suggestions for the following days in the field.
- Arrive in Anchorage at approximately 11am. **Please check with Libby Pfeiffer before making your flight arrangements to confirm the arrival time back in Anchorage.**
The past week in the back country of Alaska has surpassed all of my craziest dreams and expectations. A week long fellowship with Art Wolfe, Gavriel Jecan and 7 other amazing photographers has resulted in new friends, endless inspiration, a lot of learning, and a permanent smile on my face. Simply being in the presence of some of the most incredible animals I have ever had the privilege of shooting was amazing, and to have the opportunity to learn from Art and Gavriel made it even more spectacular. Sitting by the river and watching Alaskan brown bears fish for salmon or standing in a wide open field as 3 cubs playfully tormented their tolerant and loving mother are certainly experiences I will never forget.
It is the last frontier, a place where wild dominates humankind. A place known as the land of the midnight sun, here alpenglow lasts for hours, not minutes. Imagine venturing into this wilderness where the bears do not fear humans, where the minimal human population has learned and adapted to live in harmony with them. The bears rule, not only because they are strong, large, and on the top of their food chains, but because the humans believe that they should. Now imagine being able to capture photos of these magnificent creatures from 15 feet away. This is Alaska!
All aspects of outdoor photography will be covered, including composition, field techniques, technology, and the unique philosophy of this highly specialized profession. There will be informative lectures, rigorous critiques and portfolio reviews. Instead of concentrating only on f-stops and equipment, we will work on composition, imagination, and the control of every element in the image. We do more than just take you to the location; we help you to maximize your creative and technological skills as a photographer.