Join us for this all-inclusive, exclusive-charter expedition to the crown jewel of the sub-Antarctic
Designed for photographers by photographers, this expedition to the Falklands and South Georgia Island will be led by Frans Lanting, Tom Mangelsen, Art Wolfe, and Justin Black. We will take you to the places we love and will allow us to make the most of the southern ocean’s greatest wildlife spectacle, based on our collective experience.
Led by Art Wolfe, Tom Mangelsen, Frans Lanting, and Justin Black
Exclusive charter of Polar Pioneer – a 235-foot expedition ship with accommodation limited to fifty guests in simple but comfortable cabins – facilitates our goals for this trip. We have chosen to do this voyage on this ship because it offers a degree of intimacy that makes for superior interactions and experience for everyone, both aboard and on shore. If you wish to travel with the best photographers to the best places and are willing to sacrifice a little luxury in favor of a world-class photographic adventure, there is no better trip.
FALKLANDS–SOUTH GEORGIA PHOTOGRAPHY EXPEDITION
- Day 1 – Nov 16 – Participants will be met at Santiago Airport (SCL) and to be transferred to Hotel Atton – El Bosque, a modern accommodation in Santiago’s safe and charming Providencia district. There you will meet group leaders Frans Lanting, Tom Mangelsen, Art Wolfe, and Justin Black, as well as the rest of the team, for an introductory orientation program in the late afternoon, followed by a festive group dinner at one of Santiago’s finest restaurants. Overnight at Hotel Atton (D)
- Day 2 – Nov 17 – Early in the morning, our group will transfer via comfortable chauffeured charter buses to the airport in Santiago (SCL) for the flight to Mount Pleasant Airport (MPN) in the Falklands, followed by short ground transfer to Port Stanley to embark on Polar Pioneer. We will be welcomed aboard by the ship’s expedition staff, the Captain, and crew, and settle into quarters before setting out for the remote and wild northwest corner of the Falklands. Aboard Polar Pioneer (B,L,D)
- Day 3 – Nov 18 – Falkland Islands: We wake up in the vicinity of Steeple Jason and Saunders Islands in the remote northwest of the Falklands, to make our first landings to photograph gentoo and rockhopper penguins, as well as the world’s largest colony of black-browed albatrosses. Aboard Polar Pioneer (B,L,D)
- Days 4-6 – Nov 19-21 – At sea: In transit to South Georgia Island. This is our opportunity to prepare for the exciting opportunities that await us at South Georgia, and get to know one another better. Frans, Tom, and Art will deliver presentations intended to inspire and help you take your photography to new levels. We will also conduct photographic critiques of existing participant work. Aboard Polar Pioneer (B,L,D)
- Days 7-12 – Nov 22–27 –South Georgia Island Aboard Polar Pioneer (B,L,D)
- Nov 22 – Landing at Elsehul, a small bay noted for its grey-headed and light-mantled sooty albatrosses, plus a visit to Right Whale Bay.
- Nov 23 – Bay of Isles and Salisbury Plain for king penguins, and Prion Island for wandering albatrosses. If it’s clear, we’ll have a full moon.
- Nov 24 – Landing at Hercules Bay for macaroni penguins, plus Stromness or Fortuna Bay.
- Nov 25 – Historic Grytviken and Godthul.
- Nov 26 – St. Andrews Bay plus Gold Harbour king penguin colonies.
- Nov 27 – Cooper Bay plus Drygalski Fjord.
- Days 13-15 – Nov 28-30 – At sea returning to Port Stanley. Our transit back to the Falklands will be used well. In addition to providing valuable time to talk photography and review the images we’ve made during our week at South Georgia, Frans, Tom, Art, and the expedition staff will offer inspiring, informative, and entertaining presentations and offer critique of participant work. Aboard Polar Pioneer (B,L,D)
- Day 16 – Dec 1 – Return to Santiago– Disembark at Stanley in the morning, and transfer to Mount Pleasant Airport for our afternoon flight back to Santiago, arriving around 10pm. Group transfer via comfortable chauffeured buses to Hotel Atton for the night. (B,L,D)
- Day 17 – Dec 2 (Departure Day, Santiago) – After breakfast, transfer to airport at your convenience, and catch your flight home. (B)