Welcome to Kenya’s Maasai Mara, a photographer’s paradise where dreams come to life through the lens. Picture yourself immersed in vast open grasslands, dotted with iconic acacia trees, as a golden sunrise casts a mesmerizing glow over the majestic African wildlife.
We will stay in two exclusive conservancies boasting an abundance of diverse wildlife and stunning landscapes. Picture yourself capturing the majestic lions and graceful cheetahs in their natural habitat, as well as elephants, wildebeest, and zebras. The conservancies’ strict limits on vehicle numbers ensure an intimate encounter with the wildlife, allowing you to capture those perfect shots without the crowds.
Embark on an unforgettable journey of visual storytelling, where every click of the shutter captures the essence of Africa’s untamed beauty and the spirit of its incredible inhabitants. Pack your camera gear, and let’s create a collection of images that will leave you in awe. Don’t miss this chance to elevate your photography to new heights and experience the magic of this pristine wilderness firsthand. Are you ready for your next adventure?
Led by Art Wolfe
Limited to 10 participants
Transportation and Accommodation
All meals, lodging, and transportation specified on the itinerary are included. You will be responsible for your flight into and out of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. You are encouraged to arrive one day prior to the workshop so that there is no worry of flight delays causing any problems. Our tour coordinator can assist you with any additional hotel nights needed on either end of the tour.
Shooting schedules have the ability to be altered to effectively cater to the photographic desires of the group, as well as to adapt to changeable weather conditions.
Day 1 January 10, 2024 Arrival in Nairobi
Welcome to Kenya! Upon arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi (international flights booked on own), you will be met by a representative of our tour coordinator, assisted through customs and immigration. You will then be transferred to the charming Karen Blixen Cottages for your one-night stay.
This evening there will be a welcome dinner with Art Wolfe and his assistant instructor Gavriel Jecan. (D)
Lodging: Karen Blixen Coffee Garden and Cottages
Days 2-5 Nairobi-Mara Naboisho Conservancy
After breakfast, will be transferred to Wilson Airport in time for your flight to Mara Naboisho Conservancy (flight included). Upon arrival, you will be met and transferred to camp. Arrive in time for an afternoon game drive.
Enjoy 4 nights on safari in the Mara Naboisho Conservancy with twice daily game drives – including night drives.
Bordering the Masai Mara National Reserve to the southwest, the Olare Orok Conservancy to the west and the Ol Kinyei Conservancy to the east, the Mara Naboisho Conservancy is comprised of over 50 000 hectares of unspoilt wilderness in Kenya’s Greater Mara Region. The area is renowned for its bountiful biodiversity and breathtaking natural beauty with a wide range of wildlife on offer including lion, cheetah, elephant, giraffe, wild dog, and a host of plains game. Visitors can look forward to guided walking safaris, spending the night in a transient fly camp, heading out on a night game drive in search of elusive nocturnal creatures, joining the Mara Naboisho Lion Project as they track lions across the conservancy, or visiting Maasai villages to learn about the fascinating indigenous culture.
Optional Hot Air Balloon in the Mara (add for $550 per person)
(B, L, D)
Days 6-10 Mara North Conservancy
After breakfast and a morning game drive, you will pack your bags and be transferred across the Mara to your next camp in the Mara North Conservancy. Arrive in time for lunch and an afternoon game drive. Settle in for 5 nights as you explore and dive deep into this incredible part of the Masai Mara with twice daily game drives.
Situated in southwest Kenya, the Mara North Conservancy is a beautiful private wilderness area spanning more than 30 000 hectares. It is home to a spectacular array of plants, reptiles, birds and mammals; including elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard, cheetah and large concentrations of wildebeest, zebra, gazelle and other migratory wildlife. Leopard Gorge, in the heart of the conservancy, is famous as the setting of countless BBC Big Cat Diaries and National Geographic documentaries. Neighboring the well-known Maasai Mara National Reserve, this conservancy is vital for sustaining the famous Serengeti wildebeest migrations as well as the endangered African wild dog and black rhino.
Optional Hot Air Balloon in the Mara (add for $550 per person)
(B, L, D)
Day 11 Saturday Jan 20, 2024 -End of Itinerary-
After breakfast and an optional morning game drive, you will be transferred to the airstrip in time for your flight back to Nairobi Airport. You will be met on arrival and transferred to the Four Points Airport Hotel, where you will have day-rooms available to rest and freshen up.
Later this evening, you’ll be transferred to the airport for your international flights home. International flight out of Nairobi (must be after 5pm)
Here is a breakdown of how our days will be spent:
Our days start early before sunrise. We’ll have a quick coffee or tea, maybe a cookie, and off on our first game drive of the day. The animals are just starting to stir as the day begins, and we want to be there, and in the best light. We’ll stay out for a few to several hours, depending on the sightings. After a mid-drive coffee break, we’ll continue on until mid to late morning. We typically have breakfast in the field to maximize our game-viewing and photographing time. Back in camp, it’s time for offloading cards, one-on-one instruction, or just taking time to relax and do nothing. Read a book, take a walk, or take a nap and recharge. Of course, there will be lunch, and then In the mid to late afternoon, we’ll again head out for another game drive, chasing the best sightings. Enjoying your favorite drink while watching and photographing the sunset is a popular activity. Arrive back at camp after sundown, enjoy a hot shower if you like, and then join us by the campfire or in the living area for cocktails followed by dinner.
Food in our camps is superb—you’ll be served both dishes you know and local specialties, too. Of course any dietary needs can be accommodated.
We’ve arranged for the best safari vehicles—custom Land Cruisers which feature ample room for you and your gear, and excellent visibility.
- Accommodations (twin sharing basis) as indicated above in the itinerary. (Very limited single rooms available)
- All meals, drinks and laundry while on safari as indicated.
- Flights within Kenya, as indicated (Nairobi- Masai Mara- Nairobi)
- Price and routing based on flights available at the time of quotation and may change between time of quote and confirmation.
- Any light aircraft flights (small bush planes) include standard luggage allowances of 33 pounds per person in soft duffel bags (including any handbags and carry-ons). Luggage limits vary by airline. Please inquire if you would like to purchase additional luggage weight.
- Land Rover transport of camera equipment from Nairobi to Camp and back to Nairobi.
- Superior accommodations throughout as indicated or similar.
- All wildlife viewing by 4 X 4 open roof vehicle driven by a highly qualified private naturalist guide.
- Complimentary water in vehicles.
- Carbon offsets for your international and internal flights.
- All applicable hotel and lodge taxes.
- All game park entry fees as indicated.
- Transfers as specified in the itinerary.
- Sightseeing and excursions only as specified in the itinerary.
- Game viewing activities as specified in the itinerary.
Services Not Included
- Any international Airfare, travel insurance or medical insurance. (Emergency medical evacuation policy, required by our partners on the ground)
- Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas.
- Excess baggage charges levied by airlines.
- Gratuities to driver/guides, camp staff, and other conveyance attendants.
- Items of a personal nature, unless otherwise noted
- Personal and baggage insurance.
- Meals, drinks and laundry not specified in the itinerary.
- Premium brand drinks, champagne, cognacs, cellar wines, cigars and cigarettes.
- Anything ordered from room service at any hotel including mineral water (other than what being offered by the hotels on their compliment).
- Sightseeing and excursions not specified in the itinerary.
- Any sudden increase in price due to steep hike in fuel cost, change in government tax policy or for any reason beyond our control like acts of god, natural calamity, law and order situation, riots etc and any forced change in itinerary for any unforeseen situation or reason beyond our control.
- Covid testing required by each country on your itinerary.